This Week at Phipps: Jan. 28 – Feb. 3
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Orchid and Tropical Bonsai Show: Eye Candy
Escape to tropical paradise with a sweet treat for the senses in this dazzling and decadent all-new show! Watch as Phipps is transformed by the colors and shapes of hundreds of stunning orchids and ornate tropical bonsai.
- Garden Railroad: Memories in Motion
All aboard! Join us on a treasured locomotive journey through the years at Phipps, with fun, interactive features at every stop.
- Tropical Forest Cuba
Experience the natural beauty and culture of Cuba, one of the most biodiverse Caribbean island nations on Earth, in our immersive new Tropical Forest exhibit.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Deepening Roots: Our Growing Connections to the Botanical World
An amazing new series of "plant profile" paintings by celebrated local artist Ashley Cecil will capture your imagination and challenge your perceptions of the relationships between people and plants.
- Shaped by Nature: A Youth Art Exhibition
In the Center for Sustainable Landscapes Green Gallery, enjoy art depicting the relationships between biological systems within our bodies and the natural environment as created by middle and high school students involved in Phipps’ Fairchild Challenge.
Mon., Jan. 28:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., Jan. 30:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
Fri., Feb. 1:
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Kids can pot their own plant to care for at home.
- Party in the Tropics: Mystery Game Night | 7 – 11 p.m.
This month's 21+ night will feature a live, Phipps-themed version of the classic game CLUE! Guests are encouraged to wear costumes and dress up as their favorite CLUE suspects as they wander the Tropical Forest for a "whodunit" over appetizers and drinks.
- Enjoy the gardens by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Sat., Feb. 2:
- Nature Lab and Observational Beehive Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic Nature Lab and Observational Beehive are now open for you to discover.
- Healthy Eating for Kids | 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Enjoy a fun lesson in healthy eating for the family with Let's Move Pittsburgh.
- Advanced Orchid Growing | 1:30 p.m.
Learn advanced techniques to growing orchids free with admission.
Sun., Feb. 3:
- Tropical Sundays | 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Escape to a warm tropical paradise and save! Take 50% off admission every Sunday in February when you wear a tropical-inspired shirt to Phipps.
- Bonsai | 1:30 p.m.
Learn about the meticulous art and fascinating history of bonsai trees with Kevin Haughey.
Photos © Paul g. Wiegman