This Week at Phipps: Nov. 5 – 11
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Garden Railroad: Memories in Motion
All aboard! Join us on a treasured locomotive journey through the years at Phipps, with fun, interactive features at every stop.
- Tropical Forest Cuba
Experience the natural beauty and culture of Cuba, one of the most biodiverse Caribbean island nations on Earth, in our immersive new Tropical Forest exhibit.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Learning for a Greener Future: A Youth Art Exhibition
In the CSL Green Gallery, enjoy artistic photos of Phipps taken by high school students from the Learning for a Greener Future internship program.
- Phipps Through the Years: A Photo Exhibit
In the Welcome Center Gallery, enjoy a series of photos showing the evolution of Phipps' entrance over the past 125 years.
Mon., Nov. 5:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., Nov. 7:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
Fri., Nov. 9:
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Kids can pot their own plant to care for at home.
- Enjoy the gardens by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Sat., Nov. 10:
- Nature Lab Open Hours | 11 a.m . – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic Nature Lab is now open for you to discover.
- What Is an Orchid? | 1:30 p.m.
Learn about one of the oldest and largest flowering plant families: the orchid!
Sun., Nov. 11:
- Papermaking | 1:30 p.m.
Join us for a demonstration on making your own paper.
Photos © Paul g. Wiegman