Guest Service Supervisor
TITLE: Guest Service Supervisor
DEPARTMENT: Guest Service
REPORTS TO: Guest Service Manager
GENERAL SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Guest Service Manager, the Guest Service Supervisor will be responsible for supporting and facilitating an excellent level of guest service.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Open and close admissions. Responsible for the organization and day-to-day operations of admissions.
- Train employees and follow up on a daily basis on how to provide exceptional guest service, including use of equipment, enforcement of operational policies, information processing, customer service, etc.
- Greet the public from inside the Conservatory, distribute information, answer questions and direct guests where necessary.
- Present the Conservatory in a positive, friendly and courteous tone to all guests.
- When called for, open and close gift shop.
- Work with Phipps Café staff so that they are aware of the tours and expected number of guests.
- Handle wheelchair rentals.
- Work as liaison for the “concierge” volunteer program.
- Coordinate change runs with the Gift Shop Assistant Manager.
- Coordinate and schedule staff positions for admissions, ticket taker and parking lot attendant.
- Work with Guest Service/Gift Shop Assistant Manager to find ways to improve customer service and the overall Phipps experience.
- Cross-train on general gift shop procedures and operations in order to be able to assist when called upon.
- Work with other Conservatory personnel to constantly update the public on Conservatory happenings.
- Answer phones, providing directions and information concerning shows, events, etc.
- Present membership information and proactively sell memberships to guests; prepare paperwork for the Membership Coordinator.
- Collect money from customer lockers.
- Responsible for lost and found.
- Perform data entry into computer.
- Track questions asked and information provided for future reference.
- Perform other activities and duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Exceptional guest service skills and strong organizational skills.
- Leadership ability to effectively lead guest service effort and interact with staff.
- Considerable knowledge of computers required.
- Ability to work well with all ages, from small children to senior citizens.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate enthusiastic support of Phipps' mission.
- Ability to provide own transportation to perform principal responsibilities.
- Required to work Saturdays and Sundays, with one weekend a month off when possible.
- Requires evening work.
- Will have occasion to work in or pass through any area of the Conservatory or growing houses.
MINIMUM POSITION GUIDELINES (Education, Experience and Certification)
- Two-year degree in business, retail management or related field preferred.
- Minimum of 2-3 years' relevant and increasingly responsible experience in the field of retail/customer service preferred.
- Experience in museum environment preferred.
- Primary series of COVID vaccine is required.
Revisions, additions or deletions to this job description may be made at any point.
Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens is and equal opportunity employer that is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff. We strive to create a working environment that is inclusive, equitable and welcoming as we honor employee experiences, perspectives, and unique identities.