Guest Service and Events Associates, part-time
TITLE: Guest Service Associate (part-time)
DEPARTMENT: Guest Service
REPORTS TO: Gift Shop Manager or Admissions Manager
GENERAL SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Gift Shop Manager or the Admissions Manager, the part-time Guest Service Associate will be responsible for greeting customers and assisting with their admission and purchasing needs, while providing an excellent level of guest service in the gift shop and admissions area.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Greet the public from inside the Conservatory, distribute information, answer questions and direct guests where necessary.
- Present the Conservatory in a positive, friendly and courteous tone to all guests.
- Operate the cash register and computer to process admissions and sales.
- Work proactively in assisting patrons with their gift-buying needs.
- Work with other Conservatory personnel to continually update the public on Conservatory happenings.
- Answer phones, providing directions and information concerning shows, events, etc.
- Handle all visitor complaints, accidents and problems.
- Maintain cleanliness of admissions and gift shop areas.
- Check on restrooms and notify facilities when these are in need of attention.
- Sell memberships upon request and prepare paperwork for the Membership department.
- Perform computer data entry.
- Track questions asked by patrons and keep information available for future reference.
- Perform other activities and duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Must have exceptional guest service skills.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Computer proficiency required.
- Knowledge of plants preferred.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate enthusiastic support of Phipps' mission.
- Must be available to work weekends and evenings.
- Will have occasion to work in or pass through any area of the Conservatory or growing houses.
MINIMUM POSITION GUIDELINES (Education, Experience and Certification)
- High school diploma or equivalency required.
- Minimum of 1-2 years' relevant experience in the field of retail preferred.
- Primary series of COVID vaccine is required.
Revisions, additions or deletions to this job description may be made at any point.
Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens is and equal opportunity employer that is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff. We strive to create a working environment that is inclusive, equitable and welcoming as we honor employee experiences, perspectives, and unique identities.
Phipps offers a competitive compensation package, strong benefits and unique atmosphere. Qualified candidates should apply using our online application or send a cover letter and résumé via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, Human Resources Department, One Schenley Park, Pittsburgh, PA 15213. Phipps is an equal opportunity employer.