Seasonal Grower - Vegetables
Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
TITLE: Seasonal Grower - Vegetables
REPORTS TO: Indoor Manager
GENERAL SUMMARY: The Seasonal Grower assists horticulturists in planting, growing, maintaining, and harvesting edible plants in the outdoor garden, Gallery, Edible Wall and Hydroponic system. This position is seasonable and will last from late April to October.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain and care for edible plants in the Conservatory, gardens and/or greenhouses as directed, including watering, weeding, fertilizing, pruning, deadheading and harvesting. Help to keep all areas immaculately maintained with particular attention to detail.
- Harvest lettuce for cafe
- Cleaning of hydroponic grow system
- Accurately mix fertilizer solution.
- Maintain vertical edible wall
- climbing up a rolling ladder to access plants
- harvesting/swapping out plants as needed.
- Edible Garden
- Maintain garden conditions, throughout the day and keep pathways clear. Wipe signs daily or as needed. Be aware of safety concerns and alert managers to any problems.
- May assist with installation, maintenance and teardown of flower shows, special exhibits, display rooms, outdoor gardens and special projects as needed. May participate in weekend watering rotation.
- May assist the display horticulturist with the Edible Garden.
- Respond to inquiries from the public regarding plants and care; maintain excellent customer relations.
- Maintain tools, systems and Phipps' property with appropriate care.
- Perform other activities and duties as requested for proper Conservatory operation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Knowledge of horticultural methods and plant maintenance.
- Valid Pennsylvania driver’s license preferred.
- Ability to prioritize and work independently.
- Ability to work with the public and co-workers in a pleasant and courteous manner.
- Greenhouse and garden atmosphere – hot, humid, sun-filled climate.
- Must be available to work weekends, holidays, and one weekday shift.
- Will have occasion to work in or pass through any area of the Conservatory or growing houses.
MINIMUM POSITION GUIDELINES (Education, Experience and Certification):
- Bachelor's degree in horticulture or plant-related field or equivalent experience preferred.
- One year's experience in growing and maintaining plants, as well as propagation and production preferred.
Revisions, additions, or deletions to this job description may be made at any point.
Phipps offers a competitive compensation package, strong benefits and unique atmosphere. Qualified candidates should apply using our online application or send a cover letter and résumé via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, Human Resources Department, One Schenley Park, Pittsburgh, PA 15213. Phipps is an equal opportunity employer.