TITLE: Weekend Waterer
REPORTS TO: Production Foreman
GENERAL SUMMARY: The Weekend Waterer assists horticulturists in maintaining plants in various parts of the Conservatory, greenhouses and grounds.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Care for plants, including watering, weeding, fertilizing and maintaining display areas.
- Maintain plants in the greenhouses per watering needs.
- Provide information to and answer questions from visitors regarding plants and care.
- Sweep and maintain public display areas.
- Clean tools and maintain equipment.
- May need to assist seasonally with attending to the butterflies.
- Assist with the setup and take-down of floral shows on the premises.
- Plant, pot and transplant plants, as needed.
- May be called upon to assist with outside grounds care and snow removal.
- Perform other activities and duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Knowledge of horticultural methods and plant maintenance.
- Valid Pennsylvania driver’s license preferred.
- Ability to prioritize and work independently.
- Ability to work with the public and co-workers in a pleasant and courteous manner.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND SENSORY DIMENSIONS
- Physical mobility: sitting, standing, kneeling, walking, lifting/carrying objects up to 80 pounds, climbing up to 15 feet.
- Sensory requirement: ability to communicate and respond to staff in a friendly and fair manner.
- Greenhouse and garden atmosphere – hot, humid, sun-filled climate.
- Must be available to work weekends, holidays and one weekday shift.
- Will have occasion to work in or pass through any area of the Conservatory or growing houses.
MINIMUM POSITION GUIDELINES (Education, Experience and Certification)
- Two-year degree in plant-related field or equivalent experience preferred.
Phipps offers a competitive compensation package, strong benefits and unique atmosphere. Qualified candidates should apply using our online application or send a cover letter and résumé via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, Human Resources Department, One Schenley Park, Pittsburgh, PA 15213. Phipps is an equal opportunity employer.