This fall, Phipps is offering a uniquely themed selection of classes, in addition to our regularly scheduled semester, with a special focus on fungi and all their amazing uses. From the kitchen to your garden and even their beautiful artistic properties, join us to learn more about these amazing natural wonders.
This semester Phipps is partnering with the following organizations to offer our Mushroom courses:
Frick Environmental Center, Flannel Roots Farms, The Hunt Institute for Botanical Documentation, Mitchell's Mushroom Farm, the Pittsburgh Mushroom Company and the Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy.
For more details about our programs or to receive personalized class recommendations from our helpful staff, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Confirmations will be emailed the day before each class, including a Zoom link. Please check your spam/junk mail folder, and if you have not received the link, email email@example.com.
Virtual classes are recorded and made available to all registered participants for one month after the program.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-441-4442 ext. 3925 to cancel a class registration.
- Up to two weeks before the class (or the first class date, for a multi-session class), you may receive a full refund minus a non-refundable $10 adminstrative fee.
- Up to 72 hours (3 days) before the class or the first class date, you may receive a 50% refund.
- Less than 72 hours (3 days) before the class or the first class date, there are no refunds.
- Special events like conferences will have a separate cancellation policy and refund deadline.
All times are Eastern Time Zone.
Want to sign up with a gift certificate?
Contact Phipps at email@example.com or 412-441-4442 ext. 3925 with your choice of class to sign up with a gift certificate. If there is a remaining balance for the class or a remaining balance on the gift certificate, we will discuss those details.
Click titles for full details
- Making Masterpieces from Mushrooms Series | Britt from Flannel Roots Farm
- Making Masterpieces from Mushrooms | Mushroom Leather: Amadou | Britt from Flannel Roots Farm | Thurs., Nov. 16 | 6:30 – 8 p.m.
- Fantastic Fungi Screening | Thurs., Nov. 30 | 7:30 – 9 p.m. | This event has been canceled.
- Medicinal Mushrooms | Dr. Sa'ed Al-Olimat of Pittsburgh Mushroom Company | Nov 28 | 6 – 7:30 p.m. | This class is now filled.
Making Masterpieces from Mushrooms: Mushroom Leather: Amadou | Britt from Flannel Roots Farm
Thurs., Nov. 16 | 6:30 – 8 p.m.
Phipps Garden Center in Mellon Park
$30 members | $35 nonmembers | $40 supply fee
Mushrooms are amazing replacements of everyday things including the all time classic material leather! Let’s learn about the specific mushroom known as the Amadou that has been used for centuries for well known leather applications, most famously in haberdashery. We will go over some basic leather crafting skills and create one of a kind mushroom “leather” keychains/small crafts as take home from this workshop. Guests will take home a workshop crafted keychain made of Amadou leather.
Medicinal Mushrooms | Dr. Sa'ed Al-Olimat of Pittsburgh Mushroom Company
Nov 28 | 6 – 7:30 p.m.
$35 members | $40 nonmembers
Class hosted at Botany Hall Kitchen
Curious about medicinal mushrooms? Join pharmacist and mushroom enthusiast Dr. Sa'ed Al-Olimat in this demonstration style lecture. In this class we will explore the basics of medicinal mushroom varieties and their benefits, along with ways to incorporate them into your diet. During the presentation you will get the chance to taste and sip on mushrooms in new ways!
This class is now filled. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be placed on the waiting list.
Fantastic Fungi Screening
Thurs., Nov. 30 | 7:30 – 9 p.m.
Botany Hall Auditorium at Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
$10 members | $15 nonmembers
Delve into the magical world of Fungi while snacking on mushroom-salted popcorn – from mushrooms that clear oil spills to underground fungal networks that help trees to communicate; come be mystified by the magic of mushrooms.
This event has been canceled.