Bring Science to the Public at Phipps
Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens seeks graduate students and other professionals in all fields of science and engineering to participate in a program designed to help scientists communicate their research effectively with the public.
Who can participate?
Graduate students or faculty engaged in scientific study, as well as professionals working in a science-related field.
What does the program entail?
- Take part in a science communication workshop at Phipps. Facilitated by the research and science education department, this learning opportunity is designed to help you develop tools for communicating scientific concepts to the public.
- After completion of science communication training, you will have the chance to engage members of the public at a Meet a Scientist event at Phipps.
What are the benefits of participating?
- Work with informal education experts to develop your skills in communicating science to the public.
- Network with colleagues from multiple disciplines who are equally committed to sharing their work with the public.
- Share your work with a diverse public audience at Phipps.
What are the expectations for participants?
- Attend a one-day science communication workshop on Sat., Sept. 7 from 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Create a table display kit using existing equipment and tools from your research.
- Take part in a one-hour table prototyping session on either Wed., Sept. 18 or Thurs., Sept. 19, both from 4 – 5 p.m.
- Write a blog post about your experiences as a scientist to share via Phipps’ website.
- Sign up for a two-hour tabling shift at one of our Meet a Scientist events at Phipps Conservatory from 1:30 – 3:30 p.m. on one of the following Saturdays: Sept. 21, Oct. 19, Nov. 16 or Dec. 14. Dates in January, February and March 2020 will also be made available.
Registration for the Science Communication Fellowship is $25. Applications must be completed by Mon., Sept. 2.
Questions? Contact Dr. Maria Wheeler-Dubas, research and science education outreach manager, at email@example.com or 412/622-6915, ext. 3220.