This Week at Phipps: Aug. 24 – 30, 2015
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below are free with Phipps admission and require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Butterfly Forest | Now through Sept. 7
Get an up-close look at nature’s most important pollinators as they emerge to flutter among the blooms.
- Summer Flower Show
Discover the vibrant hues, tantalizing textures and strange shapes of some of Earth’s most weird and wonderful botanical specimens.
- Tropical Forest Congo
Explore some of Africa’s lushest landscapes and see botanical specimens never before showcased at Phipps.
- Rugged Grace: Works by Heeyoung Kim
Watch as contemporary botanical artist Heeyoung Kim explores the under-appreciated beauty and decreasing populations of native plants.
Wednesday, Aug. 26:
- National Living Lab | 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Help make science happen! Assist Carnegie Mellon University researchers as they explore how children learn.
- Story Time | 10:30 – 11 a.m. and 1 – 1:30 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
- Farmers at Phipps | 2:30 – 6:30 p.m. | Admission free to the public
Visit our sustainably managed front lawn to browse organic and Certified Naturally Grown fruits, vegetables and more from local farms.
Friday, Aug. 28:
- Have dinner at Café Phipps through 7 p.m.
- Enjoy the Conservatory by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Saturday, Aug. 29:
- SEED Classroom Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Drop in and discover the inner workings of the modular, non-toxic SEED Classroom, our revolutionary new learning space.
Sunday, Aug. 30: