This Week at Phipps: Aug. 31 – Sept. 6, 2015
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below are free with Phipps admission and require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Final Week: Butterfly Forest | Closing Sept. 7
Get an up-close look at nature’s most important pollinators before it's too late!
- Summer Flower Show
Discover the vibrant hues, tantalizing textures and strange shapes of some of Earth’s most weird and wonderful botanical specimens.
- Tropical Forest Congo
Explore some of Africa’s lushest landscapes and see botanical specimens never before showcased at Phipps.
- Rugged Grace: Works by Heeyoung Kim
Watch as contemporary botanical artist Heeyoung Kim explores the under-appreciated beauty and decreasing populations of native plants.
Wednesday, Sept. 2:
- Story Time | 10:30 – 11 a.m. and 1 – 1:30 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
- Farmers at Phipps | 2:30 – 6:30 p.m. | Free to the public
Visit our sustainably managed front lawn to browse organic and Certified Naturally Grown fruits, vegetables and more from local farms.
Thursday, Sept. 3:
Biophilia: Pittsburgh | 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. | Free to the public; R.S.V.P. required
This installment of our monthly discussion series will feature Dr. Anna Johnson, who will introduce the discussion topic, "Ecology for Urban Greening."
Friday, Sept. 4:
- Party in the Tropics | 7 – 11 p.m. | Ages 21+
Indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory.
- Have dinner at Café Phipps through 7 p.m.
- Enjoy the Conservatory by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Saturday, Sept. 5:
- Healthy Eating for Kids | 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Get smart eating and activity tips in this presentation from Let's Move Pittsburgh.
- SEED Classroom Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Drop in and discover the inner workings of the modular, non-toxic SEED Classroom, our revolutionary new learning space.
- Fall Blooming Native Plants | 1:30 p.m.
Get selection and planting advice for fall blooms from the Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania.
Sunday, Sept. 6:
- Origami | 12:30 – 2:30 p.m.
Join the Origami Club of Pittsburgh to learn how to create your own origami flowers.