This Week at Phipps: March 19 – 25
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Spring Flower Show: Scents of Wonder
Guests are invited to get nose-to-petal with hundreds of aromatic lilies, tulips, daffodils, hyacinths and more spring favorites throughout the glasshouse.
- Tropical Forest Cuba
Experience the natural beauty and culture of Cuba, one of the most biodiverse Caribbean island nations on Earth, in our immersive new Tropical Forest exhibit.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Petals and Pollinators: A Youth Art Exhibition
Enjoy multimedia artworks depicting fictional flowers and their co-evolution with specific pollinators as created by middle and high school students involved in Phipps’ Fairchild Challenge.
Mon., March 19:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., March 21:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
Fri., March 23:
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Every Friday, children are introduced to the important connections between people, plants and the planet by potting their own fun plants to take home.
- Enjoy the gardens by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Sat., March 24:
- Used Bulb Sale | 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
Take a piece of Spring Flower Show home with you by participating in one of our annual sales. Come early for the best selection!
- Floral Wholesaler Field Trip: Pennock | 9 – 11 a.m. | R.S.V.P required
Explore one of Pittsburgh’s floral wholesalers. Typically, only registered businesses can shop at the wholesalers, but all students will be permitted to make purchases after the tour concludes.
- Nature Lab and Observational Beehive Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic Nature Lab and observational beehive are now open for you to discover.
- Vermicomposting | 1:30 p.m.
Learn the basics of worm composting.
Sun., March 25:
- It's Beginning to Look Like Spring! | 1:30 p.m.
Learn to make floral arrangements for spring awakening.
Photos © Paul g. Wiegman