This Week at Phipps: March 6 – 12
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Tropical Forest Congo
Explore some of Africa’s lushest landscapes and see botanical specimens never before showcased at Phipps.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Switch your home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Learning for a Greener Future: A Youth Art Exhibition
In the CSL Green Gallery, enjoy artistic photos of Phipps taken by high school students from the Learning for a Greener Future internship program.
- The Art of Bonsai: Photographs
In the Welcome Center Gallery, the traditional styles of bonsai are exhibited and explained through stark, highly detailed photography.
Mon., March 6:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., March 8:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
Thurs., March 9:
- 5-2-1-0 Speaker Series | 5:30 p.m. | Free to the public; R.S.V.P. required
Janine E. Jones, a UPMC Health Plan health coach, and Dr. Todd Wolynn, chief executive officer of Kids Plus Pediatrics, will provide tips on breastfeeding, promoting good eating habits to children and employing positive parenting for raising healthy kids.
Fri., March 10:
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Every Friday, children are introduced to the important connections between people, plants and the planet by potting their own fun plants to take home.
- Phipps in Photos: 1893 – Present | 2 – 8 p.m.
Phipps invites you to travel back in time to explore the rich history of Pittsburgh’s glasshouse gem and its unique seasonal flower shows from 1893 to 2016. Plus, today only, you can chat with docents to learn about the rooms and the Conservatory’s colorful history.
- Have dinner at Café Phipps through 7 p.m.!
- Enjoy the gardens by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Sat., March 11:
- Phipps in Photos: 1893 – Present | 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Phipps invites you to travel back in time to explore the rich history of Pittsburgh’s glasshouse gem and its unique seasonal flower shows from 1893 to 2016.
- SEED Classroom and Observational Beehive Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic SEED Classroom and observational beehive are now open for you to discover. Drop in!
- Origami | 1:30 – 3: 30 p.m.
Learn to fold paper flowers with the Origami Club of Pittsburgh.
Sun., March 12: