This Week at Phipps: Oct. 29 – Nov. 4
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Fall Flower Show: 125 Years of Wonder | LAST CHANCE: Ends Sun., Nov. 4
Celebrate Phipps' tradition of spectacular Fall Flower Shows with a reimagining of some of the most memorable displays in our 125-year history.
- Garden Railroad: Memories in Motion
All aboard! Join us on a treasured locomotive journey through the years at Phipps, with fun, interactive features at every stop.
- Tropical Forest Cuba
Experience the natural beauty and culture of Cuba, one of the most biodiverse Caribbean island nations on Earth, in our immersive new Tropical Forest exhibit.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Learning for a Greener Future: A Youth Art Exhibition
In the CSL Green Gallery, enjoy artistic photos of Phipps taken by high school students from the Learning for a Greener Future internship program.
- Phipps Through the Years: A Photo Exhibit
In the Welcome Center Gallery, enjoy a series of photos showing the evolution of Phipps' entrance over the past 125 years.
Mon., Oct. 29:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
- Landscape Design I: Overview and Design Preparation | 7 – 9:30 p.m. | Registration required
Explore practical aspects of the landscape design process, including site documentation, client interviews and program development.
Wed., Oct. 31:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
Thurs., Nov. 1:
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh | 5:30 – 7 p.m. | R.S.V.P. required
Join us on Thurs., Nov. 1 as Dr. Julianna Razryadov discusses the benefits and potential of green roofs.
Fri., Nov. 2:
- Little Sprouts: Shapes of Nature | 9:30 – 10:30 a.m. or 11 a.m. – noon | Ages 2 – 4 | R.S.V.P. required
Nature is full of shapes and patterns. Let’s look for rectangles, triangles and circles in the conservatory.
- Party in the Tropics | 7 – 11 p.m. | Open to guests 21 and over
For some post-Halloween fun, our November Party in the Tropics will feature a live, Phipps-themed version of the classic game Clue! Guests are encouraged to wear costumes and dress up as their favorite Clue suspects as they wander the possible "murder" locations and colllect hints to figure out "whodunit."
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Kids can pot their own plant to care for at home.
- Enjoy the gardens by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Sat., Nov. 3:
- One Health Day at Phipps | 9:30 a.m . – 5 p.m.
Explore the important connections between human, animal and environmental health during the third annual One Health Day.
- Healthy Eating for Kids | 11 a.m . – 1 p.m.
Join Let's Move Pittsburgh for tips on healthy eating and activity for the whole family.
- Nature Lab Open Hours | 11 a.m . – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic Nature Lab is now open for you to discover.
- Essential Oils | 1:30 p.m.
Join us for an exploration of essential oils.
Sun., Nov. 4:
- Family Zumba with Let's Move Pittsburgh and YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh | 9:30 a.m. | R.S.V.P. required
Join us for a free, family friendly Zumba class in one of the city's most beautiful spaces.
- Natural Dyes | 1:30 p.m.
Join us to learn about the use of natural, plant-based dyes in clothing and other items.
Photos © Brian Cohen