This Week at Phipps: April 2 – 8
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Spring Flower Show: Scents of Wonder (Ends this weekend!)
Guests are invited to get nose-to-petal with hundreds of aromatic lilies, tulips, daffodils, hyacinths and more spring favorites throughout the glasshouse.
- Tropical Forest Cuba
Experience the natural beauty and culture of Cuba, one of the most biodiverse Caribbean island nations on Earth, in our immersive new Tropical Forest exhibit.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Petals and Pollinators: A Youth Art Exhibition
Enjoy multimedia artworks depicting fictional flowers and their co-evolution with specific pollinators as created by middle and high school students involved in Phipps’ Fairchild Challenge.
Mon., April 2:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., April 4:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh Meeting | 6 p.m.
Jesse Stiles, an electronic composer, installation artist and software designer, will lead the discussion, “Environmental Sound."
Fri., April 6:
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Every Friday, children are introduced to the important connections between people, plants and the planet by potting their own fun plants to take home.
- Natives for Your Yard Opening Reception | 6 – 7:30 p.m. | R.S.V.P is required
Want to be one of the first to see Natives for Your Yard: A Botanical Art Exhibit? Join us for a free reception where wine and light hors d’oeuvres will be served.
- Enjoy the gardens by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Sat., April 7:
- Nature Lab Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic Nature Lab is now open for you to discover.
- Used Bulb Sale | 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
Attend our annual Used Bulb Sale for a chance to pick up used Phipps bulbs — including hyacinths, daffodils and lilies — for your own garden!
- Essential Oils | 1:30 p.m.
Discover natural solutions to use in your family's life.
- Healthy Eating For Kids | 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Learn how to eat healthy and stay active.
- Natives for Your Yard: A Botanical Art Exhibit (Opens today!)
Stop by the Phipps Garden Center in Mellon Park to see our latest botanical art exhibit featuring plants native to southwestern Pennsylvania that you may recognize from your own backyard!
Sun., April 8:
- Forest Floor and Fauna | 1:30 p.m.
Learn how to make forest-inspired arrangements to delight the senses.
- Sunday Music Series | 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
Enjoy a tuneful stroll through the gardens of Phipps with live music performances on select Sundays. This Sunday will feature Sam Stuckey and John Stuart and a student music group from Carnegie Mellon University.
Photos © Paul g. Wiegman