This Week at Phipps: April 9 – 15
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Tropical Forest Cuba
Experience the natural beauty and culture of Cuba, one of the most biodiverse Caribbean island nations on Earth, in our immersive new Tropical Forest exhibit.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Petals and Pollinators: A Youth Art Exhibition
Enjoy multimedia artworks depicting fictional flowers and their co-evolution with specific pollinators as created by middle and high school students involved in Phipps’ Fairchild Challenge.
- Natives for Your Yard: A Botanical Art Exhibit
Stop by the Phipps Garden Center in Mellon Park to see our latest botanical art exhibit featuring plants native to southwestern Pennsylvania that you may recognize from your own backyard!
Mon., April 9:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., April 11:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
Fri., April 13:
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Every Friday, children are introduced to the important connections between people, plants and the planet by potting their own fun plants to take home.
- Party in the Tropics | 7 – 11 p.m.
Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails and seasonal beer selections, dance to the beats of a live DJ, and unwind amidst lush greenery and rushing waterfalls.
- Enjoy the gardens by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Sat., April 14:
- Nature Lab Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic Nature Lab is now open for you to discover.
- Origami | 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
Discover the secret to making origami flowers.
Sun., April 15:
- Botanical Embroidery | noon – 2 p.m.
View a beautiful botanical embroidery showcase.
- Sunday Music Series | 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
Enjoy live music from Carnegie Mellon University students in our Palm Court.
Photos © Paul g. Wiegman