This Week at Phipps: Nov. 12 – 18
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Garden Railroad: Memories in Motion
All aboard! Join us on a treasured locomotive journey through the years at Phipps, with fun, interactive features at every stop.
- Tropical Forest Cuba
Experience the natural beauty and culture of Cuba, one of the most biodiverse Caribbean island nations on Earth, in our immersive new Tropical Forest exhibit.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Learning for a Greener Future: A Youth Art Exhibition
In the CSL Green Gallery, enjoy artistic photos of Phipps taken by high school students from the Learning for a Greener Future internship program.
- Phipps Through the Years: A Photo Exhibit
In the Welcome Center Gallery, enjoy a series of photos showing the evolution of Phipps' entrance over the past 125 years.
Mon., Nov. 12:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., Nov. 14:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
Fri., Nov. 16:
- Little Sprouts: Animal Friends | 9:30 – 10:30 a.m. or 11 a.m. – noon | Registration Required
Learn about how animals care for each other and live in groups. For ages 2-4.
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Kids can pot their own plant to care for at home.
- Environmental Film Series: Divide in Concord | 7 – 9 p.m.
Join us in Botany Hall Auditorium for a screening Divide in Concord, a full-length documentary about the entertaining tale of banning bottled water in small town America. Aftewards, stay for a discussion lead by Hannah Samuels of Allegheny CleanWays and Justin Stockdale from Pennsylvania Resource Council.
- Enjoy the gardens by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Sat., Nov. 17:
- Nature Lab Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic Nature Lab is now open for you to discover.
- Meet a Scientist | 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
Drop in to our Tropical Forest Conservatory to meet our scientists in person, see their research tools and ask about their work.
Sun., Nov. 18:
- Thanksgiving Tablescape | 1:30 p.m.
Learn how to wow your Thanksgiving guests with a festive tablescape.
Photos © Phil Johnson II