This Week at Phipps: Oct. 15 – 21
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Fall Flower Show: 125 Years of Wonder
Celebrate Phipps' tradition of spectacular Fall Flower Shows with a reimagining of some of the most memorable displays in our 125-year history.
- Garden Railroad: Memories in Motion
All aboard! Join us on a treasured locomotive journey through the years at Phipps, with fun, interactive features at every stop.
- Tropical Forest Cuba
Experience the natural beauty and culture of Cuba, one of the most biodiverse Caribbean island nations on Earth, in our immersive new Tropical Forest exhibit.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Learning for a Greener Future: A Youth Art Exhibition
In the CSL Green Gallery, enjoy artistic photos of Phipps taken by high school students from the Learning for a Greener Future internship program.
Mon., Oct. 15:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., Oct. 17:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
Thurs., Oct. 18:
- Phipps at 125: A Glasshouse Celebration | 7:30 – 10:30 p.m. | R.S.V.P. required
Our 125th anniversary sets the stage for our biggest party ever! Celebrate Phipps through the ages with an enticing variety of entertainment and dancing, food and drink, and interactive experiences.
Fri., Oct. 19:
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Kids can pot their own plant to care for at home.
- Environmental Film Series: Happening: A Clean Energy Revolution | 7 – 9 p.m.
Watch an engaging documentary on the clean energy era and join in a post-film discussion led by staff from Conservation Consultants, Inc.
- Enjoy the gardens by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Sat., Oct. 20:
- Nature Lab Open Hours | 11 a.m . – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic Nature Lab is now open for you to discover.
- Meet a Scientist | 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
Meet real local scientists and learn about their important work.
Sun., Oct. 21:
- Origami | 12:30 – 2:30 p.m.
Learn the fine art of folded paper sculpture with the Origami Club of Pittsburgh.
- Floral Design Showcase: Gorgeous Greens, Nature's Way | 1 – 3 p.m. | R.S.V.P. required
Join our panel of professional floral designers for an afternoon of inspiration and education to grow your floral design artistry.
Photos © Rob Larson