This Week at Phipps: Oct. 8 – 14
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Fall Flower Show: 125 Years of Wonder | Opens Sat., Oct. 13
Celebrate Phipps' tradition of spectacular Fall Flower Shows with a reimagining of some of the most memorable displays in our 125-year history.
- Garden Railroad: Memories in Motion | Opens Sat., Oct. 13
All aboard! Join us on a treasured locomotive journey through the years at Phipps, with fun, interactive features at every stop.
- Tropical Forest Cuba
Experience the natural beauty and culture of Cuba, one of the most biodiverse Caribbean island nations on Earth, in our immersive new Tropical Forest exhibit.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Learning for a Greener Future: A Youth Art Exhibition
In the CSL Green Gallery, enjoy artistic photos of Phipps taken by high school students from the Learning for a Greener Future internship program.
Mon., Oct. 8:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., Oct. 10:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
- Risotto at Home | 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. | R.S.V.P. required
Conquer your fear of making homemade risotto in this fun and delicious hands-on class led by Chef Red from The Porch in Schenley Plaza.
Fri., Oct. 12:
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Kids can pot their own plant to care for at home.
- Kids Night Out Cooking Class: Fall Harvest | 6 – 8 p.m. | R.S.V.P. required
Harvest season is one of the most colorful times of year! Learn about eating a rainbow and growing plants in cooler months, plus make a tasty fall harvest snack in the new Botany Hall Kitchen.
- Enjoy the gardens by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Sat., Oct. 13:
- Nature Lab Open Hours | 11 a.m . – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic Nature Lab is now open for you to discover.
- Essential Oils | 1:30 p.m.
Learn about the benefits of a variety of essential oils.
Sun., Oct. 14:
- Botanical Embroidery | Noon – 2 p.m.
See a showcase of botanical embroidery art.
Photos © Phil Johnson II