This Week at Phipps: Sept. 24 – 30
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Last Chance: Gardens of Sound and Motion | Ends Sun., Sept. 30!
Featuring contemporary installations by artists from Pittsburgh and beyond, this unique show immerses you in a colorful world of eye-catching, interactive art, music and sounds.
- Tropical Forest Cuba
Experience the natural beauty and culture of Cuba, one of the most biodiverse Caribbean island nations on Earth, in our immersive new Tropical Forest exhibit.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Natives for Your Garden: A Botanical Art Exhibit
Stop by the Phipps Welcome Center to see our latest botanical art exhibit, “Natives for Your Garden,” featuring plants native to southwestern Pennsylvania that you may recognize from your own backyard!
- Petals and Pollinators: A Youth Art Exhibition
In the Center for Sustainable Landscapes Green Gallery, enjoy multimedia artworks depicting fictional flowers and their co-evolution with specific pollinators as created by middle and high school students involved in Phipps’ Fairchild Challenge environmental competition.
Mon., Sept. 24:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials..
Wed., Sept. 26:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
Fri., Sept. 28:
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Kids can pot their own plant to care for at home.
- Enjoy the gardens by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Sat., Sept. 29:
- Nature Lab Open Hours | 11 a.m . – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic Nature Lab is now open for you to discover.
- Tropical Forest Cuba Festival | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Join us for a celebration of the culture and plants of Cuba! Participate in activities, enjoy live entertainment, and savor regionally-inspired food samples from Café Phipps. This event is free with admission to the conservatory.
Sun., Sept. 30:
- Garlic Is Good for You | 1:30 p.m.
Learn about the health benefits of garlic.
Photos © Paul g. Wiegman, Phil Johnson II