Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens is committed to working with homeschools and charter schools to assist them in integrating museum experiences into their curriculum as well as continuously improving programming offered at Phipps. The Phipps Educational Advisory Committee for Charter and Homeschools (PEACCH) is a select group of educators who meet regularly during the school year to foster collaboration and learning across schools and museums. The committee is made of home and charter school educators and museum educators in the Pittsburgh area.
Jacy Brosenitsch lives in Cabot, PA, with her husband, seven children and dog. She has homeschooled for over ten years! Her family has also been foster parents for over eight years.
LeeAnn Glowzenski earned a Ph.D. in English from Duquesne University. She worked as an editor and writing center specialist before plunging into homeschool life in 2015. Lee Ann's garden adventures are inspired by her sons, who have yet to meet a seed they couldn't sprout.
Alicia Hunt and her husband are life-long Pittsburghers and live in the North Hills with their three young children. As a homeschooling family, they look for learning opportunities for their children around every corner and take great joy in watching them learn and grow with each life experience. Alicia holds a B.S. in disability services from Indiana University of Pennsylvania and has 10-plus years of experience working with children birth to teen and their families with varying developmental and educational needs.
Samantha Lee resides in Pittsburgh, PA, with her husband and three sons. In addition to homeschooling and blogging, Samantha freelances from home as a marketing consultant for small businesses and nonprofits. As an experienced public speaker, Samantha has been fortunate to speak to audiences in the thousands, and she is extremely passionate about children’s rights as well as domestic violence prevention. In her spare time, Samantha serves on the board of directors of a nonprofit indoor play space for children in PA. Samantha aspires to raise faithful, intelligent and compassionate children. Her mantra is “work hard, stay humble.”
Cynthia (Muffy) Levy-Mendoza
Muffy is the homeschooling mom of three boys and wife of one awesome husband. She runs a support group for black moms, Pittsburgh Brown Mamas, that reaches over 3,000 moms-of-color each week. She is the author of The Brown Mama Mindset: A Blueprint for Black Moms on Life, Love and Home. In her heart, Muffy is a good mother, born leader, lover of ice cream and boring documentaries and avid gardener who believes that if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
- Review updated lesson plans and program ideas developed by the museum educators
- Participate in informal discussions and brainstorming sessions to reflect and share best practices in museum education and ways to integrate material into the public/private school curriculum
- Assist in evaluation and feedback for resources and programs produced by Phipps educators
- Discuss strategies for aligning the museum’s K – 12 school-based educational programs and resources to city, state and national standards in a variety of curricular areas
- Pilot new programs and/or materials and evaluate them
- Work as a liaison between museum and schools, promote and increase awareness of educational materials and programs offered through the museum
- Participate in one field trip or program a year
Organizers and Hosts
Phipps Science Education
Heather Shannon and Dr. Maria Wheeler-Dubas
Photos © Paul g. Wiegman