This Week at Phipps: May 8 – 14
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- SUPER. NATURAL. Glass Art by Jason Gamrath
Ten years after Chihuly at Phipps, master glass artist Jason Gamrath brings a new twist to the art form, creating remarkably accurate botanical pieces on a massive scale, standing up to 14 feet tall.
- Butterfly Forest
Watch as gorgeous butterflies emerge from their chrysalises to flutter among the blooms. One may even land on you!
- Romero's Stinky Little Sis: A Corpse Flower at Phipps
Visit as we install our SUPER. NATURAL. Glass Art show and meet Barbara the Corpse Flower, Romero's "little sister," as she prepares for a surprise bloom.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Switch your home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Companion Plants: A Youth Art Exhibition
In the CSL Green Gallery, enjoy artistic depictions of beneficial plant relationships created by high school students for the Fairchild Challenge environmental competition.
- Tropical Forest Congo
Explore some of Africa’s lushest landscapes and see botanical specimens never before showcased at Phipps.
Mon., May 8:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., May 10:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
Thurs., May 11:
- 5-2-1-0 Speaker Series | 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. | R.S.V.P. required
The May installment of this free series features with Dr. Deborah Moss of UPMC and WQED media experts Deborah Acklin, Cathy Cook and Gina Masciola, who will speak about "Screen Time: The Good and the Bad.”
Fri., May 12:
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Every Friday, children are introduced to the important connections between people, plants and the planet by potting their own fun plants to take home.
- May Market and National Public Gardens Day | 9:30 a.m. – 7 p.m.
A fun family outing held just before Mother’s Day, our 81st annual May Market features a wide selection of plants, gardening accessories, handmade goods and more. Plus, today only, admission is 50-percent off during May Market hours!
Sat., May 13:
- May Market | 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
A fun family outing held just before Mother’s Day, our 81st annual May Market features a wide selection of plants, gardening accessories, handmade goods and more.
- Hot Glass Demonstration | 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Watch Michael Mangiofico of Pittsburgh Glass Center demonstrate the artful magic of hot glasswork.
- SEED Classroom and Observational Beehive Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic SEED Classroom and observational beehive are now open for you to discover. Drop in!
- The Wonderful World of Peonies | 1:30 p.m.
Learn tips for growing beautiful peonies.
Sun., May 14:
- Papermaking with Mother in Mind | 1:30 p.m.
Learn how paper is made from plants.
Photos © Ryan Doran, Paul g. Wiegman