This Week at Phipps: Nov. 13 – 19
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Birds and Botany: Works by Ashley Cecil | Opens Fri., Nov. 17
On display in our Welcome Center Gallery, this exhibition showcases the work of local artist Ashley Cecil, who was inspired by the impact of window collisions on local bird species to create a variety of media including paintings, wallpaper and bird-safe window film.
- Tropical Forest Congo
Explore some of Africa’s lushest landscapes and see botanical specimens never before showcased at Phipps.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Native Edible Plants: A Botanical Art Exhibit
On display in our Center for Sustainable Landscapes Green Gallery, this collection of work from students of our Botanical Art and Illustration program highlights native edible plants of southwestern Pennsylvania.
Mon., Nov. 13:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., Nov. 15:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
Fri., Nov. 17:
- Environmental Film Series: Green Fire: Aldo Leopold and a Lend Ethic for Our Time | 7 – 9 p.m.
Join us for a screening of the first feature documentary about author and environmentalist Aldo Leopold's life and contemporary legacy, with post-film discussion led by Emilie Rzotkiewicz, Allegheny Land Trust's vice president of land resources.
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Every Friday, children are introduced to the important connections between people, plants and the planet by potting their own fun plants to take home.
- Have dinner at Café Phipps through 7 p.m.!
- Enjoy the gardens by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Sat., Nov. 18:
- Nature Lab and Observational Beehive Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic SEED Classroom and observational beehive are now open for you to discover. Drop in!
- Meet a Scientist | 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
Meet real scientists and learn about their work.
Sun., Nov. 19:
- Botanical Embroidery | Noon – 2 p.m.
View a beautiful botanical embroidery showcase.
Photo © Paul g. Wiegman, Artwork © Ashley Cecil