Rooted in Community: Backyard Garden Forum
Join us for a one-day forum on successful growing techniques to kick off the vegetable gardening season!
On Fri., April 21, from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., join us for Phipps Edible Garden Forum: Rooted in Community. This one-day forum covers successful growing techniques and creative practices to include in your edible garden and community gardens. Local experts and community members will present a variety of short topics and will include lunch and a social hour to conclude the day.
- Gardening in Small Spaces | Elena Kessler, PGH Urban Garden Consultant
- Garden Adaptations for Wildlife | AJ Monsma, Garfield Farms
- The Challenges and Joys of Beekeeping | Maurice Wofford, Black Urban Gardeners and Farmers of Pittsburgh Co-Op
- Soil Tests and Their Interpretations | Hayly Hoch, Allegheny County Conservation District
- How to Choose Your Varieties | Allison Glick, Phipps Conservatory
- Update on the Homegrown Program | Jasmine Pope, Phipps Conservatory
- Emerging Pests in Western PA: Harlequin Beetles, Squash Vine Borer and Spotted Lanternfly | Braley Burke, Phipps Conservatory
- Creativity in the Garden | Zena Ruiz, Homewood-Brushton YMCA
- Connecting the Community to Gardening Panel | TBD
- Botanical Drinks | Hanna Mosca, Grow Pittsburgh
Attendees will be able to drop off soil samples to the Allegheny Conservation District during the event. For instructions on how to take soil samples from your yard, click here.
Phipps Edible Garden Forum: Rooted in Community will be held at Phipps Special Events Hall. Tickets will be $55 if reserved before April 1, $60 after April 1 and the registration deadline is April 9. Reduced price scholarships available upon request. Please contact email@example.com for details. Click the button below to register!
More Events You’ll Enjoy
WEDNESDAYS; 10:30 A.M. AND 1 P.M.Kids will love visiting Phipps to listen to our storyteller weave tales about gardens, animals and other fun topics. Open to the first 40 ticketed participants (whether children or guardians) and must be booked in advance using our online ticketing system.
Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Daily, noon – 5 p.m. with occasional evening hoursSwitch your home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive a free Phipps membership!