This Week at Phipps: Sept. 11 – 17
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
Open Daily (Extended Hours 9:30 a.m. – 11 p.m. Except Wed., Sept. 13):
- SUPER. NATURAL. Glass Art by Jason Gamrath
Ten years after Chihuly at Phipps, master glass artist Jason Gamrath brings a new twist to the art form, creating remarkably accurate botanical pieces on a massive scale, standing up to 14 feet tall.
- SUPER. NATURAL. Nights | Open Until 11 p.m. Nightly Except Wed., Sept. 13
Stay for the evening and experience the beauty in a whole new light as the sun goes down and the mesmerizing SUPER. NATURAL. glass art begins to glow.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Native Edible Plants: A Botanical Art Exhibit
On display in our Center for Sustainable Landscapes Green Gallery, this collection of work from students of our Botanical Art and Illustration program highlights native edible plants of southwestern Pennsylvania.
- Tropical Forest Congo
Explore some of Africa’s lushest landscapes and see botanical specimens never before showcased at Phipps.
Mon., Sept. 11:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., Sept. 13:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
- Green Market at Phipps | 2:30 – 6:30 p.m.
Refresh your lifestyle! Visit our front lawn to browse a colorful cornucopia of organic and sustainable goods from local vendors.
Thurs., Sept. 14:
- Not Your Parents' Garden Party | 7 – 11 p.m. | R.S.V.P. required
Enjoy Wigle Whiskey and harvest-style bites as the musical stylings of Pittsburgh’s own Wreck Loose and a live DJ keep the gardens rocking after dark.
Fri., Sept. 15:
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Every Friday, children are introduced to the important connections between people, plants and the planet by potting their own fun plants to take home.
- Environmental Film Series: A Plastic Ocean | 7 – 9 p.m.
Join us for a screening of the documentary A Plastic Ocean with post-film discussion by aquarist Ariella Wiener from Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium.
Sat., Sept. 16:
- SEED Classroom and Observational Beehive Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic SEED Classroom and observational beehive are now open for you to discover. Drop in!
- Botany in Action: Meet the Scientists | 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Explore the exciting world of scientific discovery by meeting our Botany in Action fellows and learning about their field work in the United States, Fiji, Cuba and Puerto Rico, free with Phipps admission.
- Tropical Forest Congo Festival | 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Join us for the final festival of our Tropical Forest Congo exhibit! Participate in activities, enjoy live entertainment, and savor regionally-inspired food samples from Café Phipps. This event is free with admission to the conservatory.
Sun., Sept. 17:
- Dried Flower Design | 1:30 p.m.
Watch a demonstration on how to arrange dried flowers and grasses for fall.
Photos © Paul g. Wiegman