This Week at Phipps: May 1 – 7
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- SUPER. NATURAL. Glass Art by Jason Gamrath | Opens Sat., May 6
Ten years after Chihuly at Phipps, master glass artist Jason Gamrath brings a new twist to the art form, creating remarkably accurate botanical pieces on a massive scale, standing up to 14 feet tall.
- Butterfly Forest
Watch as gorgeous butterflies emerge from their chrysalises to flutter among the blooms. One may even land on you!
- Romero's Stinky Little Sis: A Corpse Flower at Phipps
Visit as we install our SUPER. NATURAL. Glass Art show and meet Barbara the Corpse Flower, Romero's "little sister," as she prepares for a surprise bloom.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Switch your home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Companion Plants: A Youth Art Exhibition
In the CSL Green Gallery, enjoy artistic depictions of beneficial plant relationships created by high school students for the Fairchild Challenge environmental competition.
- Tropical Forest Congo
Explore some of Africa’s lushest landscapes and see botanical specimens never before showcased at Phipps.
Mon., May 1:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., May 3:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
Thurs., May 4:
- SUPER. NATURAL. The Opening Party | 6:30 – 10 p.m. | R.S.V.P. required
Join us for an unforgettable garden party to celebrate SUPER. NATURAL. Glass Art by Jason Gamrath, our spectacular new glass show
Fri., May 5:
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Every Friday, children are introduced to the important connections between people, plants and the planet by potting their own fun plants to take home.
- Great Plant Auction | 6 p.m. at Phipps Garden Center, Shadyside | R.S.V.P. required
Eat, drink and bid on unique plants and accessories at our 33rd annual auction to benefit Phipps education programs.
- Party in the Tropics | 7 – 11 p.m. | Ages 21+
Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
- Enjoy the Conservatory by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Sat., May 6:
- Healthy Eating for Kids | 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Learn how to eat healthy and stay active with Let's Move Pittsburgh.
- SEED Classroom and Observational Beehive Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic SEED Classroom and observational beehive are now open for you to discover. Drop in!
- Community Glass Mosaic | 1:30 p.m.
Take part in creating a community glass mosaic with artist Daviea Davis.
Sun., May 7:
- Container Gardening | 1:30 p.m.
Learn the basics of container gardening.
Photos © Tim Droschak