For Immediate Release: Thurs., Aug. 11
Contact: Joe Reed | Director of Marketing and Communications
412-622-6915, ext. 3801 |firstname.lastname@example.org
Fall Flower Show: Blooms Under the Big Top Opens Sat., Oct. 8
Delight in a Day at the Carnival and the Return of Garden Railroad in the Glasshouse this Fall
Photo © Paul g Wiegman
Pittsburgh, PA – Opening Sat., Oct. 8, Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens transports guests to the carnival through whimsical props and countless chrysanthemums in this year’s Fall Flower Show: Blooms Under the Big Top. Guests can expect displays highlighting the iconic elements of a carnival from classic game booths to humorous funhouse mirrors, all surrounded by chrysanthemums in an array of shapes and colors.
- Enter the big top as bright yellow and red fabric drape overhead in the Palm Court.
- Look in wonder at our hand-carved wooden carousel adorned with cascading mums.
- Enjoy an awe-inspiring array of purple, red and yellow mums adorned with adorable pinwheels as they surround the Victoria Pond.
- Greet a larger-than-life-sized ladybug family living happily among chrysanthemums and snap a family picture at our fall themed photo-op in the Gallery Room!
- Enter the East Room to view an amazing menagerie of topiary animals perched proudly amongst a garden setting of mums.
- Walk through a fun fall-themed arcade display in our Serpentine Room with Phipps' own huge rubber duck, a ring toss display and an adorable stuffed teddy bear topiary.
- Interact with funhouse mirrors that warp your body into hilarious shapes and sizes.
Phipps has been creating chrysanthemum-themed shows since 1894, and today its Fall Flower Show is the longest running in the nation, making it a Pittsburgh tradition that you can't experience anywhere else! Only lasting three weeks, you won’t want to miss this fun-filled show.
Plus, on the very same day, Phipps’ Garden Railroad returns to the South Conservatory with a theme of National Parks, inviting guests to explore miniature recreations of diverse national parks across the United States. 2022 marks the 150th anniversary of our first national park: Yellowstone National Park. This exhibit features Yellowstone along with Sequoia National Park, Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park, Everglades National Park and several more. Enjoy exploring the beauty and distinct landscapes of our national parks!
Fall Flower Show: Blooms Under the Big Top, designed by Senior Plant Procurement, Recording and Design Associate Laura Schoch, runs from Oct. 8 – 30. Garden Railroad: Our National Parks, designed by Associate Director of Exhibits Jordyn Melino and Exhibit Associate Mary Lou Linton-Morningstar, runs from Oct. 8 – March 5. Phipps is open 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily and until 10 p.m. on Fridays. For more information and to reserve your tickets, visit phipps.conservatory.org/Tickets.
About Phipps: Founded in 1893, Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens in Pittsburgh, PA is a globally recognized green leader with a mission to inspire and educate all with the beauty and importance of plants; to advance sustainability and promote human and environmental well-being through action and research; and to celebrate its historic glasshouse. Encompassing 15 acres including a historic 14-room glasshouse, 23 distinct indoor and outdoor gardens and industry-leading sustainable architecture and operations, Phipps attracts more than half a million visitors annually from around the world. Learn more at phipps.conservatory.org.
Watch TEDx: What We Can Learn From an Old Glasshouse: A look at the evolving way we connect people to nature at Phipps, demonstrate how human and environmental health are inextricably connected, and show that to age gracefully, we must continually reinvent ourselves to evolve with the rest of the world.