This Week at Phipps: April 15 – 21
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Spring Flower Show: Gardens of the Rainbow | LAST CHANCE — Ends Sun., April 21
This spring, immerse yourself in Phipps' dazzling celebration of the season. Experience a springtime sensory adventure, with tens of thousands of blooms in a spectrum of vibrant hues and interactive activities for all ages!
- Butterfly Forest | Opens Sat., April 20
Watch colorful butterflies break free of their chrysalises to soar and glide among beautiful Phipps blooms. One may even land on you!
- Absorbed in Color: The Art of Gemma Fletcher
On display in our Welcome Center Gallery, Fletcher's naturalistic collages offer a rich and complex complement to the surrounding flora that inspired them.
- Invasives Most Wanted: A Youth Art Exhibition
In the Center for Sustainable Landscapes Green Gallery, view fun "wanted poster"-style artworks about some of Western Pennsylvania's best known invasive species as created by middle school students involved in Phipps’ Fairchild Challenge.
- Tropical Forest Cuba
Experience the natural beauty and culture of Cuba, one of the most biodiverse Caribbean island nations on Earth, in our immersive new Tropical Forest exhibit.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
Mon., April 15:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., April 17:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
Fri., April 19:
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Kids can pot their own plant to care for at home.
- Enjoy the gardens by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Sat., April 20:
- Used Bulb Sale | 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
Take a piece of Spring Flower Show home with you at our annual sale. Come early for the best selection!
- Nature Lab Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
The revolutionary Nature Lab at Phipps is now open for you to discover.
- Meet a Scientist | 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
Meet real scientists and learn about their exciting work.
Sun., April 21:
- Spring Floral Arrangements | 1:30 p.m.
Get tips on how to make your own stylish, seasonally appropriate arragements.
Photos © Phil Johnson II, Paul g. Wiegman