This Week at Phipps: Jan. 13 – 19
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Orchid and Tropical Bonsai Show: Out of This World | Opens Sat., Jan. 18
Blast off into a galaxy of garden goodness in this stellar new show as you enjoy the colors and shapes of hundreds of otherworldly orchids and our cosmic collection of tropical bonsai.
- Garden Railroad: Farms, Food and Family
Discover farms that impact our daily lives in our fun and family-friendly Garden Railroad.
- Invasive Plants of Southwestern Pennsylvania: A Botanical Art Exhibit
Our display in the Welcome Center, Invasive Plants of Southwestern Pennsylvania exhibits art and illustrations from the Flora Project, a collaboration between Phipps’ Botanical Art and Illustration program and the Allegheny Highland Botanical Art Society, and features the work of Phipps students.
- Wish You Were Here: A Youth Art Exhibition
In the Center for Sustainable Landscapes Green Gallery, enjoy a series of paintings by participating Fairchild Challenge high school students.
- Planets Earth
A dynamic exhibit at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes addresses the pressing environmental issues of our time and proposes a new way of thinking about how to solve them.
- Tropical Forest Cuba
Experience the natural beauty and culture of Cuba, one of the most biodiverse Caribbean island nations on Earth, in our immersive new Tropical Forest exhibit.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
Mon., Jan. 13:
- Make-a-Craft Monday | 10 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! On Make-a-Craft Mondays, children are invited to engage in nature-themed arts-and-crafts projects.
Tues., Jan. 14
- Basic Floral Design: An Introduction to Western Geometric Arranging | 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Many forms of floral arrangement are based on western geometric design. Use this course as a solid foundation to learn design principles, flower conditioning and mechanical techniques.
- Gumbo the Roux Way | 6 – 9 p.m.
Learning to make a roux is the foundation for any true Southern cook. Chef Mike from Roux Orleans will bring his experience specializing in Creole, Cajun cuisine to show you how to prepare an authentic New Orleans-style gumbo starting with the perfect roux.
Wed., Jan. 15:
- Story Time Wednesday | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Come to Phipps for story time among the flowers. Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
Fri., Jan. 17:
- Pot-a-Plant Friday | 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Kids can pot their own plant to care for at home.
- Environmental Film Series: Right to Harm | 7 – 9 p.m.
Join us in Botany Hall Auditorium for a screening of Right to Harm.
Sat., Jan. 18:
- Orchid and Tropical Bonsai Show: Out of This World | 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Join us for the opening of our new flower show, Orchid and Tropical Bonsai Show: Out of This World!
- Wonderful World of Orchids | 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
Learn all about orchids in this free with admission public program!
Sun., Jan. 19:
- Bonsai | 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
Learn about different types of bonsai in this free with admission public program!
Photos © Paul g. Wiegman