Summertime Harvest Sauces
It’s easy to grab the jar of pasta sauce on the store shelf, but there is nothing as tasty as a homemade sauce! Get your 5-a-day the easy way by trying your hand at these two produce-packed toppers:
Vegetarian Bolognese Sauce:
- 10 Roma tomatoes cut in half
- ½ C Zucchini cut in cubes
- ½ C yellow squash cut in cubes
- ½ C eggplant cut in cubes
- ¼ C onions diced small
- 1 t minced garlic
- 1 T fresh basil chopped
- Olive oil salt and pepper
- Lightly coat vegetables with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Roast in a 375 degree oven till soft approximately 15 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan put 1 t olive oil and sauté the onions and garlic over medium heat till translucent.
- Add the roasted vegetables and put in blender to puree.
- Add fresh basil and check for seasoning.
- 2 cups torn kale (no stems)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic
- juice of one lemon
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- Pulse the kale, oilve oil, salt, garlic, and lemon juice in a food processor until smooth.
- Add the almonds and pulse until the almonds are ground to desired consistency.
Suggestion: These sauces pair perfectly with whole wheat pasta, pizza, poultry, beans, and roasted veggies!