This Week at Phipps: April 29 – May 5
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Butterfly Forest
Watch colorful butterflies break free of their chrysalises to soar and glide among beautiful Phipps blooms. One may even land on you!
- Absorbed in Color: The Art of Gemma Fletcher
On display in our Welcome Center Gallery, Fletcher's naturalistic collages offer a rich and complex complement to the surrounding flora that inspired them.
- Invasives Most Wanted: A Youth Art Exhibition
In the Center for Sustainable Landscapes Green Gallery, view fun "wanted poster"-style artworks about some of Western Pennsylvania's best known invasive species as created by middle school students involved in Phipps’ Fairchild Challenge.
- Tropical Forest Cuba
Experience the natural beauty and culture of Cuba, one of the most biodiverse Caribbean island nations on Earth, in our immersive new Tropical Forest exhibit.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
Mon., April 29:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., May 1:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
Thurs., May 2:
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh | 6 p.m. | R.S.V.P. required
Join us at Café Phipps with Tom Dougherty of Allegheny Land Trust, a local nonprofit organization dedicated to "helping local people save local land."
Fri., May 3:
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Kids can pot their own plant to care for at home.
- Great Plant Auction | 6 – 9:30 p.m.
Eat, drink and bid on unique plants and accessories at our 35th annual auction to benefit Phipps education programs.
- Party in the Tropics: Fiesta Night | 7 – 11 p.m.
Just ahead of Cinco de Mayo, enjoy Spanish inspired music, a themed photo booth, chips and salsa and a tequila cocktail. Join us to fiesta like there's no mañana!
- Enjoy the gardens by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Sat., May 4:
- Healthy Eating for Kids | 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Join Let's Move Pittsburgh to learn healthy eating tips for the whole family.
- Nature Lab Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
The revolutionary Nature Lab at Phipps is now open for you to discover.
- Papermaking with Mothers in Mind | 1:30 p.m.
Learn to make a papercraft gift that the mother in your life will love.
Sun., May 5:
- "Tweet" Flower Arrangements with an Avian Influence | 1:30 p.m.
Learn how to incorporate bird-like qualities into your arrangements.
Photos © Phil Johnson II, Kristy Lumsden