This Week at Phipps: May 20 – 26
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Van Gogh in Bloom
Experience the captivating work of Vincent van Gogh brought to three-dimensional life through vibrant blooms, majestic trees and hand-crafted props as recreations of his legendary paintings take center stage at Phipps.
- Butterfly Forest
Watch colorful butterflies break free of their chrysalises to soar and glide among beautiful Phipps blooms. One may even land on you!
- The Plants That Inspired Van Gogh: A Photographic Exploration
In our Welcome Center Gallery, local photographer and Phipps volunteer Paul g. Wiegman highlights the essence of the plants that Vincent van Gogh was inspired to paint.
- Invasives Most Wanted: A Youth Art Exhibition
In the Center for Sustainable Landscapes Green Gallery, view fun "wanted poster"-style artworks about some of Western Pennsylvania's best known invasive species as created by middle school students involved in Phipps’ Fairchild Challenge.
- Tropical Forest Cuba
Experience the natural beauty and culture of Cuba, one of the most biodiverse Caribbean island nations on Earth, in our immersive new Tropical Forest exhibit.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
Mon., May 20:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., May 22:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
Thurs., May 23:
Fri., May 24:
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Kids can pot their own plant to care for at home.
- Friday Extended Hours | Open until 10 p.m.
Enjoy the gardens by twilight — it's the perfect way to wind down the week!
Sat., May 25:
- Peek Behind the Petals | 9:45 – 10:30 a.m. | R.S.V.P. required; Phipps members only
Get a glimpse of the future of Phipps as President and CEO Richard V. Piacentini shares exciting new plans and updates for the Conservatory at this special presentation exclusively for members.
- Nature Lab Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
The revolutionary Nature Lab at Phipps is now open for you to discover.
- Discovery Garden Day | 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Enjoy nature inspired games. activities, crafts and more at the summer opening cleebration of Phipp's Discovery Garden
- Essential Oils | Deb Bosco 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.
Sun., May 26:
- Printing with Plants | 1:30 p.m.
Photos © Paul g. Wiegman