This Week at Phipps: Nov. 20 – 26
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Winter Flower Show and Light Garden: Holiday Magic! | Opens Fri., Nov. 24 | Advance Ticket Purchase Recommended
The most magical show of the year is here! Join us to celebrate the spirit of the season with glowing evergreens, festive poinsettias, whimsical props and our stunning outdoor Winter Light Garden.
- Garden Railroad: Treasure Island | Opens Fri., Nov. 24
Hoist your sails and hit the high seas as our ever-popular Garden Railroad transforms into a tropical island with joke-telling pirates and gleaming treasures.
- Candlelight Evenings | Opens Fri., Nov. 24
Winter Flower Show is even more enchanting at night as glowing candles light the walkways and live music fills the air.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Santa Visits | Select dates starting Fri., Nov. 24 | 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
This time of year, the man in the big red suit sets up shop in Pittsburgh's green oasis. Bring little ones, or the entire family, to pose for a festive photo with Santa, free with Phipps admission.
- Birds and Botany: Works by Ashley Cecil
On display in our Welcome Center Gallery, this exhibition showcases the work of local artist Ashley Cecil, who was inspired by the impact of window collisions on local bird species to create a variety of media including paintings, wallpaper and bird-safe window film.
- Native Edible Plants: A Botanical Art Exhibit
On display in our Center for Sustainable Landscapes Green Gallery, this collection of work from students of our Botanical Art and Illustration program highlights native edible plants of southwestern Pennsylvania.
- Tropical Forest Congo
Explore some of Africa’s lushest landscapes and see botanical specimens never before showcased at Phipps.
Mon., Nov. 20:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., Nov. 22:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
Thurs., Nov. 23:
- Phipps is closed for the Thanksgiving holiday!
Sat., Nov. 25:
- SEED Classroom and Observational Beehive Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic SEED Classroom and observational beehive are now open for you to discover. Drop in!
- Plant Diversity | 1:30 p.m.
Explore the biodiversity of plants.
Sun., Nov. 26:
- Origami | 12:30 – 2:30 p.m.
Make beautiful paper flowers with the Origami Club of Pittsburgh
Photos © Brian Cohen