This Week at Phipps: Nov. 6 – 12
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- COMING SOON: Holiday Magic! Winter Flower Show and Light Garden The holiday season isn't complete without a visit to Phipps, and on Fri., Nov. 17, Holiday Magic! Winter Flower Show and Light Garden will return to Phipps' glowing gardens.
- NOW OPEN: Garden Railroad: Pennsylvania Through the Four Seasons
Garden Railroad: Pennsylvania Through the Four Seasons will divide our miniature world of trains, buildings and landscapes into showcases of the four seasons as experienced in distinctive PA fashion, with a beach, a county fair and a bike trail among many other whimsical and interactive features.
- Pittsburgh Botanic Garden's Native Plants
Now open in our Welcome Center Gallery, plant lovers of all ages can enjoy stunning illustrations of plants growing at the Pittsburgh Botanic Garden. Pittsburgh Botanic Garden's Native Plants is part of the Flora Project, a collaboration between Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Garden's Botanical Art and Illustration Program and the Allegheny Highlands Botanical Art Society.
- Tropical Forest Hawai‘i: Aloha ‘Aina
Tropical Forest Hawai‘i: Aloha ‘Aina invites guests to take an exciting, immersive journey through the rich history, nature and culture of the Hawaiian archipelago.
- Planets Earth Virtual Exhibit
A dynamic exhibit at the Center for Sustainable Landscapes (and now online) addresses the pressing environmental issues of our time and proposes a new way of thinking about how to solve them.
Mon., Nov. 6:
- Baking with Herbs: Herbal Infused Roulade | 6 – 7:30 p.m.
Join Dina Ranade, Herbalist and Registered Dietitian, for another round of fun imaginative baking. We will use familiar and lesser-known herbs to deliciously expand herbal knowledge.
- Secret History of Plants (Phipps Walking Tour) | 6:30 – 8 p.m.
We’ll stroll through Phipps’ collection and discover how plant and human interactions have shaped our world in surprising ways.
Tues., Nov. 7:
- Pasta from Scratch | Advanced: Ravioli with Sage Brown Butter Sauce | 6 – 8 p.m.
In our advanced class we will explore stuffed pastas making ravioli with a sage brown butter sauce. Each dish will be served with a fresh green salad and homemade vinaigrette. Dinner will be served with wine.
Wed., Nov. 8:
- Dried Flowers 101 and Make Your Own Bouquet | 6:30 – 8 p.m.
Extend the season’s beauty by designing a dried flower bouquet for your home. All class flowers have been grown locally by your instructor, Collette Walsh, at Sol Patch Garden.
Thurs., Nov. 9:
- Making Masterpieces from Mushrooms: Watercolor and Paint | 6:30 – 8 p.m.
We will walk through the uses of mushrooms, how to obtain natural foraged colors, processing to pigments, and color mixing techniques/recipes.
Photo © Paul g. Wiegman