This Week at Phipps: Nov. 6 – 12
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Tropical Forest Congo
Explore some of Africa’s lushest landscapes and see botanical specimens never before showcased at Phipps.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Native Edible Plants: A Botanical Art Exhibit
On display in our Center for Sustainable Landscapes Green Gallery, this collection of work from students of our Botanical Art and Illustration program highlights native edible plants of southwestern Pennsylvania.
Mon., Nov. 6:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., Nov. 8:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
Fri., Nov. 10:
- Little Sprouts: Happy, Healthy Harvest | 9:30 – 10:30 a.m. or 11 a.m. – noon | R.S.V.P. required
At this fun seasonal camp, little learners ages 2 – 4 will make the connection between fall harvest and healthy eating.
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Every Friday, children are introduced to the important connections between people, plants and the planet by potting their own fun plants to take home.
- Have dinner at Café Phipps through 7 p.m.!
- Enjoy the Conservatory by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Sat., Nov. 11:
- SEED Classroom and Observational Beehive Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic SEED Classroom and observational beehive are now open for you to discover. Drop in!
- Holiday Paper-Making | 1:30 p.m.
Watch and learn about paper-making that celebrates nature.
Sun., Nov. 12:
- African Foods | 1:30 p.m.
Join Ola Appetit Catering to learn how African foods have been translated to the Americas.
Photos © Paul g. Wiegman