For Immediate Release: Mon., April 27
Contact: Joe Reed | Director of Marketing and Communications
412-622-6915, ext. 3801 | email@example.com
Pittsburgh, PA — Even though guests can't visit in person, Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens is pleased to offer a wide variety of opportunities for guests to engage with Pittsburgh's glasshouse digitally. From classes for adults to virtual story time, guests of any age can enjoy all of the following resources:
- Let Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens take you on a virtual journey through nature's beauty with an online tour. Phipps is also sharing an hour of stunning photography in motion accompanied by field recordings of western Pennsylvania nature sounds to help you relax, recharge, stay calm and relieve your stress.
- Take a trip back in time with photos of past exhibits dating back 125 years or share your own memories for others to enjoy.
- Kids ages 12 and under are invited to make their own troll for a chance to appear in an upcoming Summer Flower Show. Kids will also want to check out Virtual Story Time every Wednesday at 10:30 a.m. or 1 p.m. Let’s Move Pittsburgh and Phipps’ science education department are regularly posting at-home activity suggestions, recipes and more to their blogs. From ideas of how to spend a rainy day to recipes for homemade energy bars, an ABC backyard scavenger hunt and more, these blog posts will keep kids engaged and entertained.
- Some of Phipps’ most popular education courses are available to attend from the comfort of your own home, including a Beginner Vegetable Gardener series, Botany for Gardeners, floral design classes and more.
- Phipps' monthly Biophilia: Pittsburgh and Environmental Film Series events have also gone virtual. R.S.V.P. for the Biophilia: Pittsburgh meeting at 6 p.m. on Thurs., May 7 for a discussion with conservation biologist Charlotte Hacker as she shares her research on snow leopards. And tune in on Fri., May 15 from 7 – 9 p.m. for a viewing of Dammed to Extinction, followed by a discussion with Katie Jones, education and outreach manager for the Center for Whale Research in Washington State. R.S.V.P. is required to virtually attend both events.
- Shop with many of the region’s best providers of unique plants, gardening accessories, handmade jewelry, lawn decor and more at Phipps' Virtual May Market.
- You can post photos of your gardens, houseplants or backyard nature adventures with the hashtag #phippsinyourhome for a chance to be featured on Phipps' social media channels.
- You can also help Phipps reopen their doors at their bright, beautiful best.
- Subscribe to the Tree Free email list and be in the know about all of the exciting things happening at Phipps.
For more information and to enjoy these resources, visit phipps.conservatory.org.
About Phipps: Founded in 1893, Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens in Pittsburgh, PA is a globally recognized green leader with a mission to inspire and educate all with the beauty and importance of plants; to advance sustainability and promote human and environmental well-being through action and research; and to celebrate its historic glasshouse. Encompassing 15 acres including a historic 14-room glasshouse, 23 distinct indoor and outdoor gardens and industry-leading sustainable architecture and operations, Phipps attracts more than half a million visitors annually from around the world. Learn more at phipps.conservatory.org.
Watch TEDx: What We Can Learn From an Old Glasshouse: A look at the evolving way we connect people to nature at Phipps, demonstrate how human and environmental health are inextricably connected, and show that to age gracefully, we must continually reinvent ourselves to evolve with the rest of the world.