Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens seeks a cohort of high school and college-age youth to be part of our Youth Climate Advocacy Committee. We are seeking a diverse group with a wide range of skills and interests, especially in areas of the arts, science, technology, and community outreach. We encourage those with a strong passion for the environment and education to apply. Since this committee will be youth-led, we value strong motivation, creativity, enthusiasm, and teamwork.
The Youth Climate Advocacy Committee is comprised of two leaders, two to four team leads and 15-20 youth members. Being a committee member is a stipend-based position beginning in late Sept or early October 2023 and ending in April 2024. Committee members can expect to attend regular meetings on Monday nights at Phipps Conservatory and perform committee tasks averaging 2-4 hours per week.
Youth must be at least 16 years old and must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 to apply for this opportunity. Applicants should have an interest in climate action, the environment and/or justice issues.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Work closely with Phipps staff and other local organizations on advocacy projects in the Pittsburgh community.
- Collaborate with young people in different cities to learn from other likeminded youth, work together on joint advocacy projects and share resources
- Actively discuss environmental topics such as water quality and management, food systems, natural resources, ecology, green technology, environmental justice and education best practices
- Attend meetings and workshops on science communication, advocacy and activism, environmental justice, leadership, and project planning
- Guide Phipps Conservatory in educating the community about climate action and environmental justice
How to Apply
Interested youth should submit an application and an essay.
Essay: In one to two pages, please describe why you would like to be on our Youth Climate Advocacy Committee. In your essay, please state the following:
- Your motivations for participating in the Phipps Youth Climate Advocacy Committee
- What you can contribute to the committee and to our advocacy work
- How you feel you can be an effective communicator to a diverse audience (e.g. age, personality)
- How this opportunity will benefit your education and career goals
- Environmental topics that you are passionate about
Stipends are limited; applicants not selected as committee members will be encouraged to participate in other ways.
Please submit your application and essay (via email, mail or online form below) to the YCAC Coordinator by Wed., Sept. 20, 2023 at 11:59pm. If you have any questions, feel free to email or call!
Jennifer Torrance, YCAC Coordinator
One Schenley Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-622-6915, ext. 3230
Questions? Contact Jennifer Torrance, Science Education Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-622-6915, ext. 3230.