This Week at Phipps: April 1 – 7
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Spring Flower Show: Gardens of the Rainbow
This spring, immerse yourself in Phipps' dazzling celebration of the season. Experience a springtime sensory adventure, with tens of thousands of blooms in a spectrum of vibrant hues and interactive activities for all ages!
- Absorbed in Color: The Art of Gemma Fletcher
On display in our Welcome Center Gallery, Fletcher's naturalistic collages offer a rich and complex complement to the surrounding flora that inspired them.
- Tropical Forest Cuba
Experience the natural beauty and culture of Cuba, one of the most biodiverse Caribbean island nations on Earth, in our immersive new Tropical Forest exhibit.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Shaped by Nature: A Youth Art Exhibition
In the Center for Sustainable Landscapes Green Gallery, enjoy art depicting the relationships between biological systems within our bodies and the natural environment as created by middle and high school students involved in Phipps’ Fairchild Challenge.
Mon., April 1:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., April 3:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
Thurs., April 4:
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh | 6 p.m. | R.S.V.P. required
Biophilia: Pittsburgh meets monthly to discuss how citizens can strengthen the bond between people and nature through education and action. Join us this month to hear Matt Erb of Tree Pittsburgh discuss Pittsburgh's changing urban forest.
Fri., April 5:
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Kids can pot their own plant to care for at home.
- Movie Night — Five Seasons: The Gardens of Piet Oudolf | 7:15 – 8:45 p.m. | R.S.V.P. required
Join us for a viewing of an immersive and meditative documentary that reveals how the revolutionary landscape designer Piet Oudolf upends our conventional notions of nature, public space and ultimately, beauty itself.
- Enjoy the gardens by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Sat., April 6:
- Nature Lab and Observational Beehive Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic Nature Lab and Observational Beehive are now open for you to discover.
- Vermicomposting | 1:30 p.m.
Discover the world of worms and find out how they can help compost your food waste.
Sun., April 7:
- Essential Oils | 1:30 p.m.
Learn about the variety and uses of essential oils.
Photos © Phil Johnson II