This Week at Phipps: April 24 – 30
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Butterfly Forest
Watch as gorgeous butterflies emerge from their chrysalises to flutter among the blooms. One may even land on you!
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Switch your home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Companion Plants: A Youth Art Exhibition
In the CSL Green Gallery, enjoy artistic depictions of beneficial plant relationships created by high school students for the Fairchild Challenge environmental competition.
- Tropical Forest Congo
Explore some of Africa’s lushest landscapes and see botanical specimens never before showcased at Phipps.
Mon., April 24:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., April 26:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
Fri., April 28:
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Every Friday, children are introduced to the important connections between people, plants and the planet by potting their own fun plants to take home.
- Last Chance: Café Phipps Pop-Up Prix Fixe | Seatings available from 6 – 7 p.m. | R.S.V.P. required
For the final night this season, we're reinventing date night as our award-winning Café Phipps transforms into a gourmet restaurant. A delicious four-course meal provides the perfect prelude to a romantic stroll through the moonlit conservatory.
- Enjoy the Conservatory by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Sat., April 29:
- Last Chance: Used Bulb Sale | 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
Take a piece of Spring Flower Show home with you by participating in one of our annual sales. Come early for the best selection!
- Futurefest 2017 | 10 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Want to see the future? Get a glimpse of the world of tomorrow through art, demonstrations, performances, science, hands-on activities and more fun for all ages right on our front lawn. Plus, during festival hours, Conservatory admission is 50-percent off.
- SEED Classroom and Observational Beehive Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic SEED Classroom and observational beehive are now open for you to discover. Drop in!
- Essential Oils | 1:30 p.m.
Discover the benefits of essential oils.
Sun., April 30:
- A SUPER. NATURAL. Summer with UPMC Health Plan | 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Get ready for a day of healthy fun at UPMC Health Plan's member appreciation event. With the help of Let’s Move Pittsburgh, UPMC Health Plan and Phipps, guests will delight in a day of games, cooking demos, crafts, healthy tips and more. At this special one-day-only event, UPMC members will receive 50-percent off admission; visit the event page for full details on rules and eligibility.
- Let's Move Pittsburgh Family Yoga | 1 p.m. | R.S.V.P. required
Join us at Phipps for a free, family-style yoga class presented by the YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh and Let’s Move Pittsburgh.
- Papermaking with Japanese Knotweed | 1:30 p.m.
Learn how paper can be handmade from the Japanese knotweed plant.
Photos © Paul g. Wiegman