This Week at Phipps: Oct. 3 – 9
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Tropical Forest Congo
Explore some of Africa’s lushest landscapes and see botanical specimens never before showcased at Phipps.
- Environmental Change: A Youth Art Exhibition
In the CSL Green Gallery, enjoy original comic-strip artworks depicting ecosystem changes created by middle and high school students involved in Phipps’ Fairchild Challenge.
- David Morrison: Drawings
On display in our Welcome Center gallery, this collection of hyperrealist colored pencil drawings by artist David Morrison illustrates the beautiful but ephemeral aspects of nature.
Mon., Oct. 3:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., Oct. 5:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 – 11 a.m. and 1 – 1:30 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
- Farmers at Phipps | 2:30 – 6:30 p.m.
Visit our sustainably managed front lawn to browse one of only a few area farmers’ markets offering exclusively organic or Certified Naturally Grown fruits, vegetables and more from local farms.
Thurs., Oct. 6:
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh | 5:30 p.m. | Free to the public; R.S.V.P. required
Guest speaker Lisa Story, founder and executive director of Hope Grows, will lead a discussion on “Therapeutic Benefits of Horticulture.”
Fri., Oct. 7:
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Every Friday, children are introduced to the important connections between people, plants and the planet by potting their own fun plants to take home.
- Kids Night Out: Fairy Tale Forest | R.S.V.P. required
Dress up for a night of fairy tales and forest adventures filled with scientific exploration, art and a healthy snack.
- Have dinner at Café Phipps through 7 p.m.!
- Party in the Tropics | 7 – 11 p.m. | 21+ only
Make our paradise your own as you indulge in sweet and savory morsels, taste unique cocktails and seasonal beers, and dance to the beats of a live DJ in our Tropical Forest Conservatory. Entry is free with Conservatory admission.
- Enjoy the Conservatory by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Sat., Oct. 8:
- SEED Classroom and Observational Beehive Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic SEED Classroom and observational beehive are now open for you to discover. Drop in!
- Bonsai | 1:30 p.m.
Learn the basics of bonsai from Phipps expert Kevin Haughey.
Sun., Oct. 9:
- Origami | 12:30 – 2:30 p.m.
Make paper flowers with the Origami Club of Pittsburgh.
Select photos © Paul g. Wiegman