This Week at Phipps: Feb. 12 – 18
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Tropical Forest Cuba
Experience the natural beauty and culture of Cuba, one of the most biodiverse Caribbean island nations on Earth, in our immersive new Tropical Forest exhibit.
- Orchid and Tropical Bonsai Show
The most magical show of the year is here! Join us to celebrate the spirit of the season with glowing evergreens, festive poinsettias, whimsical props and our stunning outdoor Winter Light Garden.
- Garden Railroad: Treasure Island
Hoist your sails and hit the high seas as our ever-popular Garden Railroad transforms into a tropical island with joke-telling pirates and gleaming treasures.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Learning for a Greener Future: A Youth Art Exhibition
In the CSL Green Gallery, enjoy artistic photos of Phipps taken by high school students from the Learning for a Greener Future internship program.
Mon., Feb. 12:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., Feb. 14:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
Fri., Feb. 16:
- Exploring Cuba | 9:30 – 10:30 a.m. or 11 a.m. – noon | R.S.V.P. required
Kids ages 2 – 4 will love this one-hour camp exploring the new Tropical Forest Cuba exhibit.
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Every Friday, children are introduced to the important connections between people, plants and the planet by potting their own fun plants to take home.
- Kids Night Out: Cuban Expedition | 6 – 8 p.m. | R.S.V.P. required
Children ages 4 – 13 will have an exciting evening filled with scientific exploration, art and a healthy snack.
- Enrvironmental Film Series: Daughters of the Forest | 7 – 9 p.m.
Join us for a screening of Daughters of the Forest, a powerful, uplifting story of a small group of girls in one of the most remote forests left on earth who attend a radical high school where they learn to protect the threatened forest and forge a better future for themselves. Post-film discussion will be led by Dr. Martin Burt, the founder and CEO of Fundación Paraguaya.
- Enjoy the gardens by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Sat., Feb. 17:
- Nature Lab and Observational Beehive Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic SEED Classroom and observational beehive are now open for you to discover.
- Meet a Scientist | 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
Meet real scientists and learn all about their fascinating work.
Sun., Feb. 18:
- Tropical Sundays | 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Wear a tropical shirt and receive 50 percent off admission to relax under the palm trees each Sunday during the month of February.
- Bonsai | 1:30 p.m.
Learn how to train bonsai.
Photos © Paul g. Wiegman