This Week at Phipps: Jan. 1 – 7
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Last Chance: Winter Flower Show and Light Garden: Holiday Magic! | Through Sun., Jan. 7
The most magical show of the year is here! Join us to celebrate the spirit of the season with glowing evergreens, festive poinsettias, whimsical props and our stunning outdoor Winter Light Garden.
- Last Chance: Tropical Forest Congo | Through Sun., Jan. 7
Explore some of Africa’s lushest landscapes and see botanical specimens never before showcased at Phipps.
- Garden Railroad: Treasure Island
Hoist your sails and hit the high seas as our ever-popular Garden Railroad transforms into a tropical island with joke-telling pirates and gleaming treasures.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Birds and Botany: Works by Ashley Cecil
On display in our Welcome Center Gallery, this exhibition showcases the work of local artist Ashley Cecil, who was inspired by the impact of window collisions on local bird species to create a variety of media including paintings, wallpaper and bird-safe window film.
- Learning for a Greener Future: A Youth Art Exhibition
In the CSL Green Gallery, enjoy artistic photos of Phipps taken by high school students from the Learning for a Greener Future internship program.
Mon., Jan. 1:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Thurs., Jan. 4:
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh | 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. | R.S.V.P. required
The January installment of this monhtly meeting series will feature Jeanne Cecil, executive director of the Rachel Carson Homestead in Springdale, PA, who will lead a discussion on "Rachel Carson's Sense of Wonder."
Fri., Jan. 5:
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Every Friday, children are introduced to the important connections between people, plants and the planet by potting their own fun plants to take home.
Sat., Jan. 6:
- Healthy Eating for Kids | 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Join Let's Move Pittsburgh for tips on how to eat healthy and stay active.
- Nature Lab and Observational Beehive Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic SEED Classroom and observational beehive are now open for you to discover. Drop in!
- What is an Orchid? | 1:30 p.m.
Learn the unique characteristics that distinguish orchids from all other flowers.
Sun., Jan. 7:
- Family Zumba with Let’s Move Pittsburgh and YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh | 9 a.m. | R.S.V.P. required
Join us at Phipps for a free, family-style Zumba class suitable for all ages and skill levels.
- Origami | 12:30 – 2:30 p.m.
Make flowers from folded paper with the Origami Club of Pittsburgh.
Photos © Paul g. Wiegman