This Week at Phipps: Oct. 30 – Nov. 5
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
Open Daily (Extended Hours 9:30 a.m. – 11 p.m.):
- LAST CHANCE: SUPER. NATURAL. Glass Art by Jason Gamrath | Ends Sun., Nov. 5
Ten years after Chihuly at Phipps, master glass artist Jason Gamrath brings a new twist to the art form, creating remarkably accurate botanical pieces on a massive scale, standing up to 14 feet tall.
- SUPER. NATURAL. Nights | Open Until 11 p.m. Nightly through Sun., Nov. 5
Stay for the evening and experience the beauty in a whole new light as the sun goes down and the mesmerizing SUPER. NATURAL. glass art begins to glow.
- Fall Flower Finale for SUPER. NATURAL. | Ends Sun., Nov. 5
For its final weeks, SUPER. NATURAL. will embrace Phipps’ tradition of stunning Fall Flower Shows, transforming as the plantings change from tropical summer plants to a colorful cornucopia of chrysanthemums for the vibrant finale of this blockbuster show.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Native Edible Plants: A Botanical Art Exhibit
On display in our Center for Sustainable Landscapes Green Gallery, this collection of work from students of our Botanical Art and Illustration program highlights native edible plants of southwestern Pennsylvania.
- Tropical Forest Congo
Explore some of Africa’s lushest landscapes and see botanical specimens never before showcased at Phipps.
Mon., Oct. 30:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., Nov. 1:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
Thurs., Nov. 2:
- Biophilia: Pittsburgh | 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. | R.S.V.P. required
The November Biophilia: Pittsburgh meeting will feature local birding expert and blogger Kate St. John, who will lead a discussion on "Finding Pittsburgh's Winter Birds."
Fri., Nov. 3:
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Every Friday, children are introduced to the important connections between people, plants and the planet by potting their own fun plants to take home.
- Party in the Tropics: '80s Night | 7 – 11 p.m. | 21+ Only
Clip your t-shirts, pump your sneaks and Book It! to Phipps to taste unique ’80s-themed cocktails, dance to the decade’s hits, munch on light party snacks and unwind amid the lush greenery and rushing waterfalls.
Sat., Nov. 4:
- Peek Behind the Petals | 9:30 – 10:15 a.m. | Members only | R.S.V.P. required
Join Executive Director Richard Piacentini to explore the future of Phipps — including exciting new plants and updates planned for the Conservatory — at this behind-the-scenes event for members only.
- Healthy Eating for Kids | 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Learn how to eat healthy and stay active with Let's Move Pittsburgh.
- SEED Classroom and Observational Beehive Open Hours | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Phipps' revolutionary non-toxic SEED Classroom and observational beehive are now open for you to discover. Drop in!
- Knitting with Natural Plant Fibers | 1:30 p.m.
Knit your own creation using natural plant fibers.
Sun., Nov. 5:
- Origami | 12:30 – 2:30 p.m.
Make beautiful paper flowers with the Origami Club of Pittsburgh.
Photos © Paul g. Wiegman