This Week at Phipps: Oct. 9 – 15
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
Open Daily (Extended Hours 9:30 a.m. – 11 p.m.):
- SUPER. NATURAL. Glass Art by Jason Gamrath
Ten years after Chihuly at Phipps, master glass artist Jason Gamrath brings a new twist to the art form, creating remarkably accurate botanical pieces on a massive scale, standing up to 14 feet tall.
- SUPER. NATURAL. Nights | Open Until 11 p.m. Nightly
Stay for the evening and experience the beauty in a whole new light as the sun goes down and the mesmerizing SUPER. NATURAL. glass art begins to glow.
- Fall Flower Finale for SUPER. NATURAL. | Starting Sat., Oct. 14
For its final weeks, SUPER. NATURAL. will embrace Phipps’ tradition of stunning Fall Flower Shows, transforming as the plantings change from tropical summer plants to a colorful cornucopia of chrysanthemums for the vibrant finale of this blockbuster show.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Native Edible Plants: A Botanical Art Exhibit
On display in our Center for Sustainable Landscapes Green Gallery, this collection of work from students of our Botanical Art and Illustration program highlights native edible plants of southwestern Pennsylvania.
- Tropical Forest Congo
Explore some of Africa’s lushest landscapes and see botanical specimens never before showcased at Phipps.
Mon., Oct. 9:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Wed., Oct. 11:
- Story Time Wednesdays | 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Kids will love listening to our storytellers weave tales about gardens, fruits, vegetables, animals and other fun topics.
- Green Market at Phipps | 2:30 – 6:30 p.m.
Refresh your lifestyle! Visit our front lawn to browse a colorful cornucopia of organic and sustainable goods from local vendors.
- Home Fermentation Series: Kimchi | 7 – 9 p.m. | Phipps Garden Center in Mellon Park | R.S.V.P. required
Learn the foundations of home fermentation and create your own unique kimchi with traditional and non-traditional ingredients.
Fri., Oct. 13:
- Little Sprouts: Birds in Bloom | 9:30 – 10:30 a.m. or 11 a.m. – noon | R.S.V.P. required
Young explorers ages 2 – 4 will learn about birds’ beaks and the blooms around the CSL Classroom.
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Every Friday, children are introduced to the important connections between people, plants and the planet by potting their own fun plants to take home.
- Kids' Night Out: Decode Nature | 6 – 8 p.m. | R.S.V.P. required
Young guests ages 4 – 13 will decode the secret spy signals that plants use and the hidden ways that nature communicates all around us.
Sat., Oct. 14:
- Native Plant and Sustainability Conference | 8 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. | R.S.V.P. required
This annual conference brings together national experts for a one-day forum on plants, landscapes and our roles as environmental stewards. Topics discussed include composting, gardening for pollinators, underrated native perennials and more.
- Origami | 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
Make folded paper flowers with the Origami Club of Pittsburgh.
Sun., Oct. 15:
- Essential Oils | 1:30 p.m.
Discover the benefits of essential oils.
Photos © Paul g. Wiegman