This Week at Phipps: Jan. 15 – 21
There's always something new to see and do at Phipps! This weekly blog post provides a run-down of the latest happenings so you can plan your visit. Events listed below require no advance registration unless noted otherwise.
- Orchid and Tropical Bonsai Show
The most magical show of the year is here! Join us to celebrate the spirit of the season with glowing evergreens, festive poinsettias, whimsical props and our stunning outdoor Winter Light Garden.
- Garden Railroad: Treasure Island
Hoist your sails and hit the high seas as our ever-popular Garden Railroad transforms into a tropical island with joke-telling pirates and gleaming treasures.
- Make the Switch at Phipps! Green Power Drive
Join the more than 1,000 families who have switched their home electricity to 100% green power while visiting our Tropical Forest Conservatory and you can receive free Phipps membership!
- Birds and Botany: Works by Ashley Cecil
On display in our Welcome Center Gallery, this exhibition showcases the work of local artist Ashley Cecil, who was inspired by the impact of window collisions on local bird species to create a variety of media including paintings, wallpaper and bird-safe window film.
- Learning for a Greener Future: A Youth Art Exhibition
In the CSL Green Gallery, enjoy artistic photos of Phipps taken by high school students from the Learning for a Greener Future internship program.
Mon., Jan. 15:
- Make-a-Craft Mondays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Create your very own Phipps masterpiece! Every Monday, children are invited to engage in nature-inspired arts-and-crafts projects using recyclable materials.
Fri., Jan. 19:
- Pot-a-Plant Fridays | 10:30 a.m. – noon
Every Friday, children are introduced to the important connections between people, plants and the planet by potting their own fun plants to take home.
- Friday Nights of Winter Lights | 5 – 10 p.m.
Take one more walk through the dazzling light displays in our Outdoor and Children's Discovery Gardens while our indoor spaces showcase orchids, bonsai and more.
- Kids Night Out: Phipps Painting and Poetry Night | 6 – 8 p.m. | R.S.V.P. required
Kids ages 4 – 13 will have a blast creating a unique painting with a specialist from Art Expressions.
- Environmental Film Series: Edible City | 7 – 9 p.m.
Join us for a screening of Edible City, a fun, fast-paced journey through the local Good Food Movement that is taking root in the San Francisco Bay Area, across the nation and around the world. Post-film discussion will be led by Raqueeb Bey of Grow Pittsburgh.
- Enjoy the Conservatory by twilight; we're open until 10 p.m.!
Sat., Jan. 20:
- Meet a Scientist | 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
Meet real scientists and learn about their fascinating work.
Sun., Jan. 21:
- Orchid Repotting | 1:30 p.m.
Learn the best techniques for repotting orchids.
Photos © Paul g. Wiegman